Patients charged 'abusive' fees at public health clinics
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 6:36 PM ET
Last Updated: Dec 13, 2012 9:24 PM ET
Quebec's health insurance board says reimbursements paid out for illegal fees charged by public health clinics are nearly four times higher than last year.
So far this year, the board has given back $526,686 to patients that were charged fees inflated by doctors.
Last year, the board gave back a total of $141,679 to people who complained.
John Bradley, an organizer at the Pointe-Saint-Charles community clinic said he has been hearing about similar issues on a daily basis and wants the province to crack down on doctors who overcharge their patients.
"I'm sure a lot of people have been to an ophthalmologist or to a dermatologist and have had to pay. We think if it's medically necessary, it should be covered by Medicare," he said.
According to a newsletter from the clinic, a woman was forced to pay $40 for eye drops. She received a $20 cheque from her ophthalmologist after complaining about the fees.
The health insurance board said it investigated about 20 clinics throughout the province over the past five years. The board billed the clinics that were accused of illegally charging patients.
The board says most services that are considered medically necessary and rendered by doctors are covered by the public health plan. However, procedures like CT scans and MRIs are only covered when performed in a hospital.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- Former premier among growing list of politicians offered cash in Laval
- Radio-Canada's investigative program Enquête reports former PQ Premier Bernard Landry turned down a cash-stuffed envelope from a would-be donor in Laval in 1976. more »
- Patrick Roy named head coach of Avalanche
- The Colorado Avalanche made it official Thursday, naming Patrick Roy their new head coach and vice president of hockey operations. more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- Quebec film wins screenplay prize at Cannes
- Le Demantelement, a movie by Quebec director Sebastien Pilote, has won one of the main prizes of sidebar program Critics Week at the Cannes Film Festival. more »
Top News Headlines
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- A week after bombshell allegations that Toronto Mayor Rob ford was videotaped smoking crack, the mayor's chief of staff was fired and Ford is continuing to stonewall reporters. more »
- Federal Court won't remove MPs over robocall allegations
- The Federal Court says it won't throw six MPs out of seats over allegations of widespread vote suppression through automated robocalls in the 2011 federal election. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. more »
- Canada Post campaigns against 'no flyers' mailbox signs
- Canada Post has been mailing more than 900,000 letters across the country to people to try to convince them to remove "no flyer" signs from their mailboxes. more »
- Montreal boil-water advisory to end no earlier than 10 p.m.
- 1.3 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- Woman injured after falling on Montreal metro tracks
- Supreme Court refuses to hear Lise Thibault's appeal
- 23-year-old woman dies while surfing near LaSalle
- RCMP moving to freeze assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- PQ polling woes continue
- Anti-corruption raids at borough offices in CDN-NDG