Ex-Montreal construction boss describes bid rigging system
Commission to break for holidays after this week
Posted: Nov 26, 2012 3:14 PM ET
Last Updated: Nov 27, 2012 8:34 AM ET
A former construction boss, who says he was prevented from bidding on city contracts because he wasn't Sicilian, told Quebec's corruption commission that collusion has been present at Montreal's city hall for decades.
"It's been 33 years that I've been in business. It's been 30 years that I've known there's collusion at the city of Montreal," said Piero Di Iorio, former Vice-President of the now defunct Excavations D.P.
Di Iorio, whose family comes from the Abruzzo region of Italy, said he had been told since he was 18-years-old that he wasn't allowed to bid on public works contracts because it was assumed they would go to companies owned by Sicilians, including Frank Catania and Nicolo Milioto.
'Like in the movies'
Di Iorio described one incident, he said was "like in the movies," when he decided to buck the system and bid on a contract for road work in front of his company's offices on Henri Bourassa Boulevard in the late 1980s.
He called up another construction boss, Joey Piazza, to let him know he'd be bidding on the work, "to be polite."
"Five minutes after I made the call, Joey Piazza was at the front door and his brother was at the back," Di Iorio said.
He said he pushed Frank Piazza out of the way and ran to his truck with his bid paperwork in hand. He then raced toward city hall to get it in by the 2 p.m. deadline.
Di Iorio said when was on Viger Street, another brother of Piazza pinned his vehicle against a wall near the entrance to the Ville Marie tunnel to prevent him from turning in the bid.
He described climbing out the vehicle window. He said a man, who identified himself as an RCMP officer, approached and escorted Di Iorio to city hall to turn in his paperwork.
"Unfortunately, we came in second," he said. "I think it was F. Catania who got the contract for that project in front of our office."
Di Iorio said he was under bid because the companies always had two offers ready, just in case someone came in at the last minute and tried to scoop the contract.
He filed a complaint against Joey Piazza. But not long after, two men came to his office and told his father to back off.
Di Iorio said his mistake was notifying Piazza of his intentions, but if he hadn't and he won the contract, he would have had to live with the consequences.
Salesman refused to pay kickbacks
Earlier this morning, a sales director from a PVC pipe company told the commission that he offered perks to city officials, including a hunting trip and meals, but he saw that as the cost of doing business.
"We have our expense accounts and we're there to make friends," Michel Cadotte told the commission Monday morning.
"I think it's acceptable with our distributors, with other businesspeople, but with people from the city, with elected officials, I think it was a mistake."
Cadotte, who spent more than a decade trying to convince the city to purchase his company's PVC pipes for its sewers and water mains, said he finally thought he'd broken into the market when the head of public works sent a memo to staff to stop using iron pipes and only use his company's PVC in 2006.
The directive came shortly after Cadotte met with construction bosses Paolo Catania and Nicolo Milioto. The latter has been described as the so-called middleman between the city, the Montreal Mafia and the construction industry.
However, Cadotte's plans for city contracts went south, he says, after he refused to pay $150,000 for kickbacks for city staff, requested by Milioto.
After he refused, the city issued new recommendations that didn't include his product, the commission heard.
Last week of testimony before break
This is the last week the corruption commission will sit before breaking for the holidays.
The chief prosecutor requested the break at the commission hearing this morning. The hearings will start again Jan. 21.
Other witnesses, who haven't been identified, are scheduled to testify this week and are expected to talk about the process of awarding contracts at the city.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- RCMP moving to freeze assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- The RCMP is moving to freeze millions of dollars in bank accounts and real estate holdings in Montreal and Florida as part of its expanding probe into Canadian engineering firm SNC-Lavalin. more »
- Via terror plot suspects due in court today
- Two suspects charged in an alleged plot to bomb a Via Rail train are scheduled to appear in a Toronto court Thursday morning. more »
- Eugenie Bouchard advances to Strasbourg International semifinals
- Quebec teenager Eugenie Bouchard continued her impressive week in Strasbourg, France with a straight sets quarter-final win Thursday against her Georgian opponent. more »
- Anti-corruption raids at borough offices in CDN-NDG
- For the second time this year, officials with Quebec's anti-corruption unit have raided the offices of a Montreal borough. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma case charged with 1st-degree murder
- Mark Smich of Oakville, Ont., is formally charged with first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. Smich's arrest follows the first-degree murder charge against Dellen Millard of Toronto. more »
- U.K. attack suspects were focus of past security probes
- WARNING: This story contains graphic content. Two men accused of butchering a British soldier had featured in previous investigations by security services, a British official said, as investigators tried to determine whether the men were part of a wider radical Islamic plot. more »
- Neil Macdonald: Harper no Obama when it comes to dealing with scandals
- Beset by three so-called scandals at the moment, Barack Obama has been meeting his accusers and the press head on, Neil Macdonald writes. The same cannot be said for how Stephen Harper operates. more »
- Needed: New approaches to defuse 'suicide contagion' among teens
- Mental health experts say we need to find new ways to refer to and discuss suicide, particularly now that a large medical study has confirmed that teens are more susceptible to the idea if they know a schoolmate who died that way. more »
- 1.3 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- Woman injured after falling on Montreal metro tracks
- 23-year-old woman dies while surfing near LaSalle
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- Court freezes assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- Anti-corruption raids at borough offices in CDN-NDG
- How Quebec Cree avoided the fate of Attawapiskat
- Quebec private daycare owners hold 1-day walkout
- CBC board member linked to allegations before corruption inquiry