South Shore man charged in baby assault
10-month-old baby sustained serious head injuries
Posted: Nov 26, 2012 1:40 PM ET
Last Updated: Nov 26, 2012 5:09 PM ET
A 31-year-old Longueuil man has been charged with aggravated assault against a 10-month old baby.
The man was arrested Sunday in the hospital where the infant girl was being treated for major head injuries.
The suspect made an appearance in a Longueuil courtroom today.
He was barred from communicating with his 24-year-old girlfriend, the mother of the baby and remanded into custody until his next court appearance Thursday.
Police were called to Nancy Street in Brossard on Montreal's South Shore around 4 a.m. on Sunday to investigate a report that a child sustained serious head injuries.
Both the mother and the accused went to the hospital with the girl.
Soon after, police charged the mother's boyfriend.
The Crown prosecutor said the girl is in critical but stable condition.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- CBC's Top Tweets: How are you dealing with the boil water advisory?
- CBC asked members of the twitterverse to share how they're dealing with the City of Montreal's boil water advisory. more »
- 1-day Quebec private daycare strike affects 25,000 kids
- Thousands of parents are finding alternate babysitting arrangements in the face of a one-day walkout by about half of the 600 private, subsidized daycares in Quebec, with the strike affecting about 25,000 kids. more »
- Aretha Franklin cancels Canadian shows
- Aretha Franklin is extending her current break and has cancelled performances for the month of June, including apperances in Montreal and Ottawa. more »
- Conrad Black defends Harper's former chief of staff
- Conrad Black tells Jian Ghomeshi of CBC's Q radio program that he doesn't believe the prime minister's former chief of staff did anything wrong by writing a personal cheque to Senator Mike Duffy for ineligible expenses. more »
Top News Headlines
- Ford ally says mayor told to limit comments on alleged crack video
- Oklahoma residents begin to return home after deadly tornado
- Liberals allege interference in 'tainted' Duffy report
- Liberal Senator Jim Munson, a member of the Senate's internal economy committee that dealt with Senator Mike Duffy's expenses audit, says an original report on the audit was changed and alleges the Prime Minister's Office may have had something to do with the "whitewash." more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Over 1 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- 'Lightly felt' earthquake west of Montreal
- Molotov cocktail targets St. Léonard business for 2nd time
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- Crucifix to stay in National Assembly: Drainville
- Service restored on Montreal metro lines
- Thousands push for rejection of Bill 14
- Daniel Ratthé eager to return to CAQ caucus
- Quebecer dead in Mexico after scuba diving incident