Quebec factory that blew up says it had no excess acetone
Posted: Nov 22, 2012 4:03 PM ET
Last Updated: Nov 22, 2012 5:58 PM ET
The chief operating officer of a health-products factory that was the site of a fatal explosion earlier this month in Sherbrooke, Que., says the plant did not exceed the amount of acetone it was entitled to have.
Last week, a Radio-Canada report said officials had discovered that the level of acetone — a highly flammable solvent — kept at Neptune Technologies & Bioressources surpassed the amount allowed by Quebec's Environment Ministry.
Company executive Michel Chartrand denied that was the case.
"At the time of the event, the total amount of acetone on the site, both inside and outside the plant, did not exceed the limits allowed by the environmental authorization certificate awarded to Neptune in 2002," he said.
A tank of acetone is believed to have been the source of the explosion that killed three people and injured 18 others.
In 2002, the government authorized Neptune to keep 30,000 litres of acetone outside the factory and 6,000 litres inside.
Chartrand said the company always respected the ministry's standards and maintained the proper levels of acetone at the plant.
He said the Environment Ministry's notice of non-compliance pointed at the plant's equipment and its expansion.
He said the company continues to talk with the Quebec government to understand how Neptune Technologies failed to adhere to equipment standards.
According to Radio-Canada, the ministry never authorized the plant's expansion — but Neptune Technologies still obtained $3 million from Quebec in 2012 to fund the work.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- Relaunch of Highway 19 extension to be announced today
- Quebec's provincial government is reportedly going ahead with the long-awaited extension of Highway 19, north of Montreal. more »
- Philanthropist, father of Browns Shoes, dies at 85
- Montrealers are mourning the death of well-known businessman and community member Morton Brownstein. more »
- Montreal lifts boil-water advisory
- Mayor Michael Applebaum has given Montrealers the green light to drink their tap water, saying it's safe to drink. He says if it's still discoloured, let the taps run for a few minutes. more »
- Laval police seize drugs, assault weapon
- Laval police made a major drug and weapons bust on Wednesday, seizing ecstasy powder, cocaine, cannabis, cash, and an automatic assault weapon. more »
Top News Headlines
- Greg Weston: Senate scandal may be Harper's worst hour
- The widening Senate scandal that the prime minister flippantly tried to dismiss as a 'distraction' just days ago has instead become arguably Stephen Harper's worst hour. more »
- Washington bridge collapse not Alberta trucker's fault, wife says
- The wife of the trucker implicated in Thursday's collapse of a bridge in Washington State that serves tens of thousands of commuters daily says her husband is not responsible for the incident. more »
- Canada ranks 3rd last in paid vacations
- Canada ranks third last among economically advanced countries in the amount of paid vacation time it guarantees its workers, a new U.S. study indicates. more »
- Canadian forecasters warn of active hurricane season
- Canadian forecasters are warning warmer-than-average ocean waters and the lack of an El Nino warming of the central Pacific Ocean will contribute to an "active" hurricane season this year. more »
- Montreal lifts boil-water advisory
- PQ wants to force federally regulated firms to abide by French language charter
- Former premier among growing list of politicians offered cash in Laval
- 1.3 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- PQ polling woes continue
- 23-year-old woman dies while surfing near LaSalle
- Supreme Court refuses to hear Lise Thibault's appeal
- Woman injured after falling on Montreal metro tracks
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal