Millennium bomber sentenced to 37 years
Case dating to 1999 'provokes our greatest fears,' judge says of ex-Montrealer
The Associated Press
Posted: Oct 24, 2012 7:16 AM ET
Last Updated: Oct 24, 2012 7:34 PM ET
Ahmed Ressam, an Algerian who lived for a time in Montreal, was sentenced today in Seattle to 37 years in prison for his role in the plot to bomb Los Angeles International Airport at the turn of the millennium.Ahmed Ressam, shown in a 2005 court sketch at a Federal Court in Seattle, was sentenced Wednesday for the third time. (Peter Millet/Associated Press)
Ressam was arrested in December 1999 in Washington state after his car, which had just arrived in the U.S. by ferry, was found to have a trunk full of explosives.
Wednesday's sentencing hearing in Federal Court was his third.
U.S. District Judge John C. Coughenour had twice ordered him to serve 22-year terms, but both times the sentences were reversed on appeal.
Ressam's attorneys had conceded that he should face at least three decades to satisfy the appeals courts, but no more than 34 years.
The Justice Department had been seeking life in prison, arguing he intended to cause a mass murder, and because he recanted his co-operation with federal investigators.
Arrested after foot chase
Coughenour said Wednesday that "this case provokes our greatest fears."
A customs official noticed that Ressam appeared suspicious when he drove off a ferry from British Columbia on Dec. 16, 1999, and signalled him to stop for further inspection. His arrest, after a brief foot chase, prompted fears of a terrorist attack and the cancellation of Seattle's New Year's Eve fireworks.
Ressam started co-operating after he was convicted and was interviewed more than 70 times by terror investigators from the U.S., Canada, Great Britain, Spain, Italy, Germany and France.
Information he provided helped to convict several terror suspects, prompt a famous August 2001 FBI memo titled "Bin Laden determined to strike in U.S.;" and contribute to the arrest of suspected Osama bin Laden Lt. Abu Zubaydah, who remains in custody without charges at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Ressam subsequently recanted all of his co-operation when it became clear that the prosecutors weren't going to recommend that he serve less than 27 years in prison. The recanting forced the Department of Justice to drop charges against two suspected co-conspirators, Samir Ait Mohamed and Abu Doha.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- Montreal lifts boil-water advisory
- Mayor Michael Applebaum has given Montrealers the green light to drink their tap water, saying it's safe to drink. He says if it's still discoloured, let the taps run for a few minutes. more »
- Relaunch of Highway 19 extension to be announced today
- Quebec's provincial government is reportedly going ahead with the long-awaited extension of Highway 19, north of Montreal. more »
- Laval police seize drugs, assault weapon
- Laval police made a major drug and weapons bust on Wednesday, seizing ecstasy powder, cocaine, cannabis, cash, and an automatic assault weapon. more »
- Alleged sexual predator's victims sought by Montreal police
- Montreal Police are asking the public for help finding young victims of an alleged sexual predator. more »
Top News Headlines
- Rob Ford allies set to take over if mayor steps down
- Greg Weston: Senate scandal may be Harper's worst hour
- Man ‘lucky to be alive’ after Washington bridge collapse
- 3D printers give rise to 'desktop manufacturing'
- Rob Ford fired chief of staff for telling mayor to 'get help'
- Montreal lifts boil-water advisory
- PQ wants to force federally regulated firms to abide by French language charter
- Former premier among growing list of politicians offered cash in Laval
- 1.3 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- PQ polling woes continue
- 23-year-old woman dies while surfing near LaSalle
- Supreme Court refuses to hear Lise Thibault's appeal
- Woman injured after falling on Montreal metro tracks
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal