University of Montreal suspends classes targeted by striking students
Administrators warn it may be too late to make up session
Posted: Aug 28, 2012 11:52 PM ET
Last Updated: Aug 29, 2012 6:40 AM ET
The University of Montreal has suspended classes in the departments that have been targeted by student protesters since Monday, when a winter make-up term began at all Quebec universities hit by student strikes earlier this year.
The university issued a notice Tuesday evening that it would suspend classes for the remainder of the week in the departments of anthropology, film studies, art history, East Asian studies, video-gaming studies and comparative literature.
There are 47 suspended classes in total, all in the departments in which student associations voted to continue their boycott.
"They were the classes that we saw in the last two days [in which] the students were giving us trouble," said Mathieu Filion, a spokesman for the university administration. "Ninety per cent of our students are in class right now, and it was those students who were disturbing the other classes.
"We tried our best to give classes to those students, but obviously they didn't want to be there," Filion added.
Filion could not say how many students in the suspended courses have been turning up for class since Monday and how many were outside the classrooms protesting, although he said about a thousand students are affected by the university's decision.
10 protesters charged Tuesday
Ten people face charges after a second day of disrupted classes and clashes with riot police Tuesday at the Jean Brillant building, where many of the university's arts classes are held.
Seven people will be charged for allegedly assaulting police or university security guards, two with obstruction of justice and one with disturbing the peace.
The federation representing about 37,000 students at the University of Montreal, FAÉCUM, blasted the administration for calling in police to deal with the protesters and welcomed the decision to suspend classes.
"The measures they took were totally disproportionate. There were nearly 50 cop cars for maybe 50 protesting students," federation spokesperson Alexandre Ducharme said. "We're happy they're taking a step back and reevaluating their strategy."
The Sept. 4 election 'is going to calm things down or really heat things up'—FAÉCUM spokesperson Alexandre Ducharme
Some student associations have said they will vote again next week to decide whether to carry on their boycott, and Ducharme said the outcome of the provincial election on Sept. 4 would probably be a deciding factor.
"It's going to calm things down or really heat things up," Ducharme predicted.
Whatever the outcome, the university administration said it is not certain it will be able to offer striking students the classes they need to complete their winter term in the time they have left.
"The schedule right now is really tight. We're not able to move things around anymore," Filion said. "We are already condensing the schedule so we can give those classes in five weeks."
"Those [striking] students need to finish the winter session before Sept. 28, because on Oct. 1, we'll receive 12,000 new students, and we can not have two sessions at the same time."
The Quebec government officially suspended the winter term at many universities on May 18 due to the student crisis. Hundreds of courses had effectively shut down at that point, some since as early as February, because of the student boycott. The term was to resume this week.
The head of Quebec's federation of university rectors, Daniel Zizian, warned Monday that students who failed to show up for their classes risked obtaining an incomplete or a failure on their transcript.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- PQ wants to force federally regulated firms to abide by French language charter
- The Parti Québécois government says it plans to compel federally regulated companies to comply with Quebec's French Language Charter, by withholding public contracts from those that don't. more »
- Former premier among growing list of politicians offered cash in Laval
- Radio-Canada's investigative program Enquête reports former PQ Premier Bernard Landry turned down a cash-stuffed envelope from a would-be donor in Laval in 1976. more »
- Patrick Roy named head coach of Avalanche
- The Colorado Avalanche made it official Thursday, naming Patrick Roy their new head coach and vice president of hockey operations. more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
Top News Headlines
- Toronto mayor fired chief of staff for telling him to 'go away and get help'
- CBC News has learned the details of what precipitated the firing of Mark Towhey as Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's chief of staff — and it was advice from Towhey that Ford needs to 'get help.' more »
- Federal Court won't remove MPs over robocall allegations
- The Federal Court says it won't throw six MPs out of their seats over allegations of widespread vote suppression through automated robocalls in the 2011 federal election. But Judge Richard Mosley did find that fraud occurred in the election. more »
- Alleged Ford crack video seller not responding to calls
- The journalist who broke the story alleging Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was recorded on video smoking crack cocaine says he may never be able to get his hands on the evidence. more »
- Bridge collapse on Washington interstate drops cars into water
- An Interstate 5 bridge over a river north of Seattle collapsed Thursday evening, dumping vehicles and people into the water, the Washington State Patrol said. more »
- Montreal boil-water advisory to end no earlier than 10 p.m.
- 1.3 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- Woman injured after falling on Montreal metro tracks
- Supreme Court refuses to hear Lise Thibault's appeal
- 23-year-old woman dies while surfing near LaSalle
- RCMP moving to freeze assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- PQ polling woes continue
- Anti-corruption raids at borough offices in CDN-NDG