Canadian behind Windsor-Detroit fireworks display
Detroit Parade Company promises the show will go on for years to come
Posted: Jun 25, 2012 9:18 AM ET
Last Updated: May 2, 2013 11:13 AM ET
A Canadian is the man behind Monday's international fireworks display over the Detroit River.
Quebec-born choreographer Patrick Brault began in the industry “as a grunt, digging trenches” for shows in Quebec. He said he was looking for two months of outdoor work “to get a tan.”
Now, he’s one of the world’s foremost choreographers. He designed this year's show in Windsor-Detroit.
“It’s one of the most known fireworks shows in North America,” Brault said . "There’s not many – other than the Macy’s show in New York – bigger shows.”
He said this year’s show has a few surprises and fireworks from Spain.
He said it was a little more challenging because he was given the 22-minute soundtrack first and asked to design a show around the music. He also said the music didn’t lend itself to a finale he’s used to.
“It won’t be a traditional finale like people are used to,” he said.
Brault called the soundtrack “very American.” It features Michael Jackson, Broadway show tunes and rock.
“It’s all over the place,” he said.
Monday’s show is scheduled to begin at 10:06 p.m. The weather is expected to be clear and about 20 Celsius with zero chance of rain when the show gets underway.
Parade Company says show will go on
The Detroit Parade Company, organizer of the annual fireworks display over the Detroit River, has promised the show will go on for years to come.
“Next week, we’ll evaluate the show ... and work on a new show for next year,” said Steve Abood, the communications manager of the parade company.
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing had previously hinted the show may be in jeopardy because the city could no longer afford the cost of security.
In a statement issued Friday, the mayor sounded more confident.
“I am working collaboratively on a regional events plan that will ensure the ongoing success of our regional events, including the Parade Company-produced Target Fireworks and America’s Thanksgiving Parade,” he said. “I have every confidence that our plan and strategy to provide the necessary funding with the support of the private sector will work. We continue to hold meetings with my administration, business leaders, and potential sponsors to push forward my plan for regional support and participation.”
However, Abood said Target, the show’s major corporate sponsor, hasn’t signed on for 2013.
“Nothing’s signed yet. But we’re looking forward to the show next year and making it happen for Canada and the U.S.,” he said. “We’re 100 per cent confident. Being such a long-standing tradition and a great kickoff to the summer, we’re absolutely confident we can get a plan together that we know will sustain this.”
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- CBC's Top Tweets: How are you dealing with the boil water advisory?
- CBC asked members of the twitterverse to share how they're dealing with the City of Montreal's boil water advisory. more »
- 1-day Quebec private daycare strike affects 25,000 kids
- Thousands of parents are finding alternate babysitting arrangements in the face of a one-day walkout by about half of the 600 private, subsidized daycares in Quebec, with the strike affecting about 25,000 kids. more »
- Aretha Franklin cancels Canadian shows
- Aretha Franklin is extending her current break and has cancelled performances for the month of June, including apperances in Montreal and Ottawa. more »
- Conrad Black defends Harper's former chief of staff
- Conrad Black tells Jian Ghomeshi of CBC's Q radio program that he doesn't believe the prime minister's former chief of staff did anything wrong by writing a personal cheque to Senator Mike Duffy for ineligible expenses. more »
Top News Headlines
- Mike Duffy says his actions 'do not merit criticism'
- Senator Mike Duffy said in a statement Wednesday he's confident that when Canadians know all the facts about his spending claims they will conclude his actions "do not merit criticism." more »
- Ford ally says mayor told to limit comments on alleged crack video
- Legal advice may be behind Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's decision to stay silent in the wake of allegations he was recorded smoking what appears to be crack cocaine. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Obama to visit Oklahoma following deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Over 1 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- 'Lightly felt' earthquake west of Montreal
- Molotov cocktail targets St. Léonard business for 2nd time
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- Crucifix to stay in National Assembly: Drainville
- Service restored on Montreal metro lines
- Thousands push for rejection of Bill 14
- Daniel Ratthé eager to return to CAQ caucus
- Quebecer dead in Mexico after scuba diving incident