Magnotta will be held in Germany pending extradition
WARNING: This story contains graphic information that may be disturbing
Posted: Jun 13, 2012 5:36 AM ET
Last Updated: Jun 13, 2012 12:22 PM ET
Luka Rocco Magnotta has been ordered to be held in pre-extradition custody in Berlin, a German official said Wednesday.
A Berlin court decided at the end of last week that there was sufficient evidence to keep Magnotta in custody pending his extradition to Canada, court spokesman Tobias Kaehne said.
Magnotta and his lawyer had to be informed of the German court's decision before it could be made public.
Magnotta, 29, is the Canadian man suspected of killing and dismembering Jun Lin, the 33-year-old Chinese student with whom he had a relationship. Magnotta is alleged to have recorded video of the attack and mailed the victim's body parts to federal political parties in Ottawa.
Magnotta is wanted by Montreal authorities on first-degree murder and other charges, including threatening Canadian politicians.
He was arrested June 4 at a internet café in Berlin, where he was reportedly reading stories about himself.
Magnotta has indicated he will not fight his extradition to Canada.
Berlin prosecutors' spokesman Martin Steltner said his office must ask the German justice and foreign ministries to sign the extradition order.
"We hope it will go quickly,"Steltner said.
Authorities have indicated it could take two weeks for the extradition to take place if it is not contested. Magnotta's court-appointed lawyer, Evelyn Ascher, has declined to comment.With files from the Associated Press
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- CBC's Top Tweets: How are you dealing with the boil water advisory?
- CBC asked members of the twitterverse to share how they're dealing with the City of Montreal's boil water advisory. more »
- 1-day Quebec private daycare strike affects 25,000 kids
- Thousands of parents are finding alternate babysitting arrangements in the face of a one-day walkout by about half of the 600 private, subsidized daycares in Quebec, with the strike affecting about 25,000 kids. more »
- Aretha Franklin cancels Canadian shows
- Aretha Franklin is extending her current break and has cancelled performances for the month of June, including apperances in Montreal and Ottawa. more »
- Conrad Black defends Harper's former chief of staff
- Conrad Black tells Jian Ghomeshi of CBC's Q radio program that he doesn't believe the prime minister's former chief of staff did anything wrong by writing a personal cheque to Senator Mike Duffy for ineligible expenses. more »
Top News Headlines
- Lawyers tell Rob Ford to limit comments on alleged crack video
- Legal advice may be behind Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's decision to stay silent in the wake of allegations he was recorded smoking what appears to be crack cocaine. more »
- Oklahoma residents begin to return home after deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Wednesdays with @Kady: Senate expenses questions continue
- As Ottawa waits to see whether Prime Minister Stephen Harper takes questions on the Senate expenses scandal in Peru this afternoon, CBC Politics blogger Kady O'Malley is available to answer your questions on the latest controversial developments. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Over 1 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- 'Lightly felt' earthquake west of Montreal
- Molotov cocktail targets St. Léonard business for 2nd time
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- Crucifix to stay in National Assembly: Drainville
- Service restored on Montreal metro lines
- Thousands push for rejection of Bill 14
- Daniel Ratthé eager to return to CAQ caucus
- Quebecer dead in Mexico after scuba diving incident