Concrete slab collapses in Montreal tunnel
Posted: Jul 31, 2011 10:17 AM ET
Last Updated: Jul 31, 2011 10:01 PM ET
A fallen piece of concrete has forced the closure of the eastbound lanes of Montreal's Ville-Marie Expressway and a partial closure of the westbound lanes.
Police say the 15-metre block of concrete in the Ville-Marie tunnel fell near the City Hall exit. No one was injured and no one was stuck in the tunnel.
"Our officers arrived at the scene and we verified and made sure that no one was stuck underneath the rubble," Daniel Thibaudeau, spokesman for Quebec provincial police, told reporters Sunday.
The part that fell is a screen-like slab meant to block the light, so drivers entering and exiting the tunnel are not blinded.
Construction workers on the scene told the CBC's Peter Akman they had been doing work on the walls of the tunnel and believed vibrations from that may have caused the slab to fall.Officials have closed the eastbound lanes of the Ville-Marie expressway while investigators examine the collapse. CBC
Transport Quebec spokesperson Caroline Larose said engineers from the ministry are inspecting the structure. She tried to reassure Montreal drivers, saying the provincial government regularly inspects the city's transportation infrastructure and has invested $4 billion this year alone.
"We won't open this piece of infrastructure until we know it's safe," Larose told reporters gathered near the expressway.
The Ville-Marie is a busy expressway that runs through downtown Montreal. About 100,000 cars travel on it each weekday.
The tunnel was built in 1972, and Concordia University professor emeritus Bala Ashtakala said it is time to replace it.
"I'm really disappointed that they are not taking a good look at the whole situation and doing something about it," he said. "They are doing bits of work here and there — that is not going to solve the problem."
Ashtakala said the lifespan of concrete is 40 years — about the same age as the tunnel.
Previous alarm bells have been sounded over the state of Montreal's aging roadway infrastructure. In 2006, an overpass over Highway 19 in Laval cracked and plunged to the ground below, crushing five people, including a pregnant woman.
The head of a provincial public inquiry into the Laval overpass collapse warned the government that other road structures in Quebec are deteriorating.
It is not known how long the eastbound lanes of the expressway will remain closed, but police and provincial officials are asking drivers to choose another route for Monday morning's commute.With files from The Canadian Press
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- CBC's Top Tweets: How are you dealing with the boil water advisory?
- CBC asked members of the twitterverse to share how they're dealing with the City of Montreal's boil water advisory. more »
- 1-day Quebec private daycare strike affects 25,000 kids
- Thousands of parents are finding alternate babysitting arrangements in the face of a one-day walkout by about half of the 600 private, subsidized daycares in Quebec, with the strike affecting about 25,000 kids. more »
- Aretha Franklin cancels Canadian shows
- Aretha Franklin is extending her current break and has cancelled performances for the month of June, including apperances in Montreal and Ottawa. more »
- Conrad Black defends Harper's former chief of staff
- Conrad Black tells Jian Ghomeshi of CBC's Q radio program that he doesn't believe the prime minister's former chief of staff did anything wrong by writing a personal cheque to Senator Mike Duffy for ineligible expenses. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- Mayor Ford stays silent while his brother defends him
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford continues to stonewall the media over allegations that he was recorded on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine, but his brother Coun. Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday that the story is untrue. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Obama to visit Oklahoma following deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Over 1 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- 'Lightly felt' earthquake west of Montreal
- Molotov cocktail targets St. Léonard business for 2nd time
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- Crucifix to stay in National Assembly: Drainville
- Service restored on Montreal metro lines
- Thousands push for rejection of Bill 14
- Daniel Ratthé eager to return to CAQ caucus
- Quebecer dead in Mexico after scuba diving incident