updatedNew Canadian pro-basketball league planned
Posted: May 12, 2011 10:24 AM ET
Last Updated: May 12, 2011 12:29 PM ET
Three professional basketball teams that pulled out of a league in April are planning to set up a new Canadian league with teams in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.
Plans to set up the National Basketball League of Canada were announced in Halifax on Thursday. The planned league is expected to have at least eight teams.
Andre Levingston and Ian McCarthy, who each own basketball franchises in the Maritimes, said they believe a new league could be successful.
"We're extremely excited to found a league that consists of committed, fiscally responsible owners who will operate their teams with the mandates of providing a high level of entertainment for fans and sponsors, and making a difference in their communities," said Levingston, the president and CEO of the Halifax Rainmen.
The Saint John Mill Rats, Halifax Rainmen and Quebec Kebs left the Premier Basketball League last month after complaints of unfair officiating and poor management.
The league is expected to include those three teams, as well as four teams in Ontario in London, Oshawa, Kingston, and Barrie. Another franchise is also being considered for Moncton.
The league has received letters of intent from ownership groups in those cities, while an official list of teams is expected at the end of June.
Levingston said during Thursday's news conference the idea for the league came from a desire to make basketball more accessible.
"Hockey is accessible. We haven't made basketball accessible here. Big companies invest to make sure that they kids in this country love hockey and then it's on the front of their minds of everybody in this country. Well, we need individuals to do that in basketball. This is not a business venture for me, it's a movement," said Levingston.
"It's the opportunity for us to leave something behind for a country that I feel is loaded with tremendous talent. All we need is individuals to step up and say, 'This can work here.' I have no doubt that professional basketball can be successful in this country."
McCarthy, the president and general manager of the Saint John Mill Rats, said the new league will be owned jointly by the member teams.
"All of the teams that will be in the league will own stock in the league. They will all have a representative on the board of directors, they will all vote in important business matters and important basketball matters," McCarthy told reporters.
"Our objective is not to grow this thing very, very fast, but to add correct ownership groups that are stable, solid, committed to the long term and understand that we're providing entertainment, we're providing resources and community initiatives not only in charity but in visiting schools and providing role models for kids."
McCarthy said there will be a mandate to have a certain number of Canadian players on each team and that number will be voted on by the member teams when the final roster of teams is announced.
He said one round of the draft will be dedicated to choosing players on Canadian Interuniversity Sport and Atlantic University Sport teams.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- CBC's Top Tweets: How are you dealing with the boil water advisory?
- CBC asked members of the twitterverse to share how they're dealing with the City of Montreal's boil water advisory. more »
- 1-day Quebec private daycare strike affects 25,000 kids
- Thousands of parents are finding alternate babysitting arrangements in the face of a one-day walkout by about half of the 600 private, subsidized daycares in Quebec, with the strike affecting about 25,000 kids. more »
- Aretha Franklin cancels Canadian shows
- Aretha Franklin is extending her current break and has cancelled performances for the month of June, including apperances in Montreal and Ottawa. more »
- Conrad Black defends Harper's former chief of staff
- Conrad Black tells Jian Ghomeshi of CBC's Q radio program that he doesn't believe the prime minister's former chief of staff did anything wrong by writing a personal cheque to Senator Mike Duffy for ineligible expenses. more »
Top News Headlines
- Lawyers tell Rob Ford to limit comments on alleged crack video
- Legal advice may be behind Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's decision to stay silent in the wake of allegations he was recorded smoking what appears to be crack cocaine. more »
- Oklahoma residents begin to return home after deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Wednesdays with @Kady: Senate expenses questions continue
- As Ottawa waits to see whether Prime Minister Stephen Harper takes questions on the Senate expenses scandal in Peru this afternoon, CBC Politics blogger Kady O'Malley is available to answer your questions on the latest controversial developments. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Over 1 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- 'Lightly felt' earthquake west of Montreal
- Molotov cocktail targets St. Léonard business for 2nd time
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- Crucifix to stay in National Assembly: Drainville
- Service restored on Montreal metro lines
- Thousands push for rejection of Bill 14
- Daniel Ratthé eager to return to CAQ caucus
- Quebecer dead in Mexico after scuba diving incident