Cinar fraud suspects granted bail
Arrest warrant issued for founder of TV animation company
Posted: Mar 3, 2011 9:57 AM ET
Last Updated: Mar 3, 2011 1:08 PM ET
Quebec provincial police allege Ronald Weinberg, Hasanian Panju, Lino Pasquale Matteo and John Xanthoudakis were involved in a financial fraud at the Cinar. (CBC, Quebec provincial police)A Montreal judge has granted bail for two people in connection with an alleged $120 million fraud at the defunct children's TV production company, Cinar.
Cinar's former chief financial officer, Hasanain Panju, was released on $50,000 bail on Thursday along with Lino Pasquale Matteo, an executive with the investment-firm Mount Real.
Panju's bail conditions forbid him from holding a position in a public company or from investing in, holding or trading stock.
Matteo, who is seeking a legal-aid lawyer, has also been released on similar conditions.
He agreed to remortgage his home to cover the bail cost.
Panju and Matteo will be back in court May 4.
Arrest warrant issued for Cinar founder
Quebec provincial police arrested Panju, 58, and Matteo, 44, on Wednesday evening following a lengthy police investigation.
Police are still looking for Cinar founder Ronald Weinberg, 59, who is believed to be in Florida where his son owns a house.
An arrest warrant has also been issued for John Xanthoudakis, 52, president of Norshield Financial Group, a Montreal-based hedge fund operator.
Authorities allege the four men orchestrated an elaborate, large-scale fraud.
Weinberg and Panju are alleged to have invested funds, without the approval of the production house's board of directors, in an attempt to profit personally.
Police also allege Xanthoudakis then helped invest the money in the Bahamas, while Matteo helped him camouflage the investments.
The four men are facing a total of 36 charges among them, including fraud, forgery, using fake documents and publishing a false prospectus.
Police probed computer files, documents
Cinar co-founder Ronald Weinberg arrives at the courthouse in Montreal in 2006. (Canadian Press/Paul Chiasson)The fraud allegedly occurred between August 1998 and March 2000.
Sûreté du Québec said said the lengthy investigation included meeting 50 witnesses, including ex-Cinar employees, witnesses in the Bahamas, and Ernst and Young employees in Canada.
Investigators analyzed about 50 boxes worth of documents and nearly 10,000 computer files.
Cinar is best known for its hit children's programs Arthur and Caillou.
The company became mired in scandals in the late 1990s and was sold in 2004 for $144 million.
Both Mount Real and Norshield have been the subject of other legal proceedings for allegedly fleecing investors of millions of dollars.With files from The Canadian Press
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- Supreme Court refuses to hear Lise Thibault's appeal
- The Supreme Court of Canada has refused to hear the appeal of Quebec's former Lt.-Gov. Lise Thibault, who is charged with fraud and breach of trust. more »
- RCMP moving to freeze assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- The RCMP is moving to freeze millions of dollars in bank accounts and real estate holdings in Montreal and Florida as part of its expanding probe into Canadian engineering firm SNC-Lavalin. more »
- Trudeau raises environmental questions over pipeline
- Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says a proposed west-east pipeline project will not go forward unless it addresses key environmental concerns. more »
- Via terror plot suspects due in court today
- Two suspects charged in an alleged plot to bomb a Via Rail train are scheduled to appear in a Toronto court Thursday morning. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. Smich was charged today, after Dellen Millard of Toronto was also charged with first-degree murder. more »
- U.K. attack suspects were focus of past security probes
- WARNING: This story contains graphic content. Two men accused of butchering a British soldier had featured in previous investigations by security services, a British official said, as investigators tried to determine whether the men were part of a wider radical Islamic plot. more »
- Neil Macdonald: Harper no Obama when it comes to dealing with scandals
- Beset by three so-called scandals at the moment, Barack Obama has been meeting his accusers and the press head on, Neil Macdonald writes. The same cannot be said for how Stephen Harper operates. more »
- Rob Ford: Councillors, media want answers on crack issue
- Newspaper editorials and commentators are expressing frustration over Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's silence on allegations he was captured on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine. more »
- 1.3 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- Woman injured after falling on Montreal metro tracks
- 23-year-old woman dies while surfing near LaSalle
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- Court freezes assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- Anti-corruption raids at borough offices in CDN-NDG
- How Quebec Cree avoided the fate of Attawapiskat
- Quebec private daycare owners hold 1-day walkout
- CBC board member linked to allegations before corruption inquiry