Roadblock for Montreal safe-injection site
Montreal mayor sends Cactus pilot project back to drawing board
Montreal Mayor Gérald Tremblay has said 'no' to plans for a new, downtown safe-injection site - unless it is located within existing health clinics and hospitals.
Tremblay has dismissed a proposal from community group Cactus - which runs a needle exchange program - to open a supervised injection site in the Ville-Marie borough.
"We don't want to be against supervised injection sites, but we're saying not Cactus," Tremblay said Tuesday night at a borough council meeting.
Downtown merchants and residents have complained about increasing drug problems in the area, and they blame addiction service outlets.
Cactus said it will forge ahead with its plan, despite the mayor's opposition.
Quebec approved the creation of new safe injection sites late last year, following a landmark decision from the Supreme Court of Canada.
An SCOC decision in October ruled that Vancouver's Insite safe injection clinic was allowed to remain open.