Quebec worker dies of burns in BRP lab blast

Bombardier Recreational Products says one of its employees has died in hospital following an explosion last Friday at its laboratory in Valcourt, Que.
This BRP research lab is closed after a Nov. 9 explosion that killed laboratory worker Sébastien Tardif, 38. (Radio-Canada)

Bombardier Recreational Products says one of its employees has died in hospital following an explosion last Friday at its laboratory in Valcourt, Que.

The company says Sebastien Tardif, a 38-year-old father of two, died Saturday from injuries sustained in the explosion at the Valcourt, Que., research facility.   

A second person who was injured in the blast, a 54-year-old security guard, remains in intensive care in the burn unit of Quebec City's Enfant-Jésus hospital.

Tardif's job was to operate a dynamometer, an instrument that is used to measure torque, power or force.   

The company says an investigation is ongoing to determine what caused the blast during the night shift at the facility.   

The province's workplace health and safety commission and the local fire department have been investigating.   

The research centre is closed but the company says manufacturing operations have not been affected.   

The company said in a statement that its thoughts are with Tardif's family and friends, and it has offered support to the family and Tardif's fellow employees.   

BRP was spun off by Bombardier Inc. in 2003.  It is half-owned by Bain Capital.  The founding Beaudoin family holds a 35 per cent stake, and the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec owns the rest.

The Valcourt plant produces Ski-Doo snowmobiles, Sea-Doo jet skis and Can-Am all-terrain vehicles and is located about 130 kilometres east of Montreal.

Third worker dies in Sherbrooke blast

The blast that rocked the BRP lab was the second deadly industrial explosion to occur in Quebec's Eastern Townships within a 12-hour period.

On Nov. 8, an explosion at a biochemical plant, Neptune Technologies and Bioressources Inc, killed two people and sent 19 others to hospital, several with serious burns.

The most critically injured man, 42-year-old Marc Couture, was removed from life support and died in a Montreal hospital on Saturday.



with files from CBC News