Another arrest made in alleged Quebec pedophile ring

Another man has been arrested in connection with the investigation of an alleged child pornography ring, dubbed Operation Malaise.

Total of 14 men arrested in connection with investigation known as Operation Malaise

In all, 14 people were arrested in connection with Operation Malaise. (The Associated Press)

UPDATE: May 25, 2018: The following court decisions have been made in connection to this story:

Acquitted: Dave Turcotte, Didier Chételat and David Boucher.

Pleaded guilty: Jonathan St-Pierre, Jean-Marc St-Hilaire, Claude Paquette, Simon Brochu, Francis Perron, Kenneth Jodoin and Roger Lepage.

Charges dropped: Vincent Rodrigue.

Still before the courts: André Faivre, Patrick Charbonneau.


Another man has been arrested in connection with a wide-ranging police investigation of an alleged child pornography ring, dubbed Operation Malaise.

Richard Lévesque appeared in court today, along with 13 other men arrested in last week's sweep in Quebec and Ontario.

Crown prosecutor Cynthia Gyenizse said Lévesque was arrested over the weekend.

One man who was already in custody, Vincent Rodrigue, appeared briefly and renounced his right to a bail hearing.  

He will remain detained until the end of the court proceedings involving his case.

The Crown was set to release Didier Chételat today under certain conditions. However, he will remain in custody until Thursday while investigators verify the address where he will be living. 

Chételat is an assistant professor at HEC Montreal.

Ten others appeared and had their hearings postponed until this Thursday:

  • Jonathan St-Pierre, 28, of Trois-Rivières.
  • André Faivre, 67, of Montreal. 
  • Jean Marc St-Hilaire, 66, of Saint-Eustache. 
  • Claude Paquette, 31, of Montreal. 
  • Patrick Charbonneau, 36, of Montreal. 
  • David Boucher, 31, of Montreal.
  • Simon Brochu, 34, of Montreal. 
  • Francis Perron, 46, of Quebec City.
  • Kenneth Jodoin, 40, of Montreal. 
  • Dave Turcotte, 40, of Saint-Hilaire-de-Dorset.
  • Roger Lepage, 74, of Lévis, was represented by his lawyer. 

Gyenizse said some of the accused might be released on Thursday, pending the verification of certain conditions.

"Some new information was given to the defence lawyers, and some of them [the accused] offered some guarantees about conditions that could be given to the accused," said Gyenizse.

"Now the Crown and defence [have] to evaluate what will happen in the proceedings."

Those who are not released on Thursday will proceed to a bail hearing on Tuesday, Feb. 9.

In all, 14 people were arrested in connection with Operation Malaise. Police are still looking for one more man.