Police and city workers in Quebec City completely dismantled the Occupy Quebec site Tuesday morning after weeks of issuing warnings citing safety concerns.

Crews descended on the site at Place de l'Université-du-Québec around 6 a.m. ET and started pulling down structures and loading items into trucks.

Protesters said they were given less than a minute to grab their personal items before crews started hauling tents and other items out of the encampment and loading them into waiting trucks.

Only a handful of people were actually at the camp at the time.

Within an hour an a half, all trace of the Occupy site, set up more than a month ago, was gone and the six or seven protesters found in the tents had dispersed.

Police said no arrests were made and they did not encounter any resistance.

The dismantling of the site came after Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume said Monday his patience was at an end.

He warned that the campsite would be removed by force if the protesters didn't leave on their own.

"I'm asking them to leave now," said Labeaume.

Labeaume first ordered the protesters out of the square three weeks ago, citing safety concerns.

A small fire at the encampment led to inspections by fire officials, and the removal of wood and electrical appliances deemed hazardous.

On Monday, Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay told protesters it was time to pack up and leave. He said peace and security were not being maintained on the site.

Previously, Tremblay had said publicly that the encampment could remain at Victoria Square as long as protesters were co-operating with police, firefighters and the city.