Princeville veal farm destroyed by fire
Fire forced the evacuation of a two-kilometre radius around farm due to risk of propane explosion
A fire at a veal farm in Princeville, near Victoriaville, Sunday caused an estimated $1 million in damage.
The fire began around 1:30 a.m. and destroyed the main barn and heavily damaged two silos.
The barn normally houses calves but the animals had just been sent to slaughter.
Emergency responders evacuated 15 homes within a two-kilometre radius of the farm as a precaution against the possibility of exploding propane tanks on the farm.
Residents were allowed to return to their homes around 5:30 a.m.
The farm’s owners were off camping at the time of the incident.
Quebec’s provincial police believe an electrical problem might be responsible for the fire.