Every Friday, CBC Montreal’s Homerun arts reporter Pierre Landry brings you the top five things to see and do in Montreal this weekend.
Here are Pierre's picks for January 24, 25 and 26.
1. Igloofest continues this weekend in Montreal's Old Port to the sounds of DJs Misstress Barbara, Crackface, Seb Diamond, and Maus, among others. Individual tickets are $18. Iglooweekend passes are $40.
2. Before heading off to the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles this Sunday (where he leads the pack with 9 nominations), hip hop star Jay Z performs at the Bell Centre. Maybe he'll practice his acceptance speeches here. Friday at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $45 to $167.50 plus fees. .
3. Laurence Hélie is among the most exciting singer-songwriters on the Québec music scene. Her blend of country and folk is sure to please fans of this style. Friday at Auditorium Le Prévost (7355 Christophe-Colomb) at 8 p.m. Tickets are only $2.
4. Teesri Duniya Theatre revisits the Bhopal disaster that claimed thousands of lives in India and still affects survivors to this day in that area. Bhopal is presented at the Segal Centre (5170 Côte Ste-Catherine) until Feb. 2. Tickets range from $15 to $25.
5. Opéra de Montréal presents George Gershwin's Porgy and Bess. The cast includes Kenneth Overton (Porgy), Measha Brueggergosman (Bess), along with Marie-Josée Lord and the Montreal Jubilation Choir. The show premieres Saturday at the Place des Arts' Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier at 7:30 p.m. The entire run is sold out.