Pierre's picks: 5 don't-miss events in Montreal this weekend
Igloofest, Robert Lepage, Fête des Neiges, DeAnne Smith and Godspeed this weekend
Every Friday, CBC Montreal’s Homerun arts reporter Pierre Landry brings you the top five things to see and do in Montreal this weekend.
1. Quebec's Robert Lepage is considered one of the true geniuses of theatre. His productions consistently feature cutting edge technology and inventive tricks within the stage design. Lepage's latest is the tetralogy Jeux de cartes (Playing Cards), where the meaning of each trump is explored. The series will be held at Le Tohu, 2345 Jarry Street. East. His first show, Pique (Spades), is on until Jan. 25, followed by Coeur (Hearts) from Jan. 30th to Feb. 9. Tickets range from $25 to $65.
2. The best way to stay warm outside is to keep on moving. Better yet, head over to Igloofest and dance to some of the world's best DJs, including Matthew Dear, Skream, Misstress Barbara, and Maus. Every Thursday to Saturday in the Old Port, until Feb. 8. Individual tickets are $18. Iglooweekend passes are $40. Igloopasses are $120.
3. Bundle up the kids and join in the fun at the Fête des Neiges! Activities for the whole family include sledding, an adventure course, hockey, concerts, and skating. Every weekend at Parc Jean-Drapeau until Feb. 9. Most activities are free.
4. DeAnne Smith is one seriously funny lady. She is spending the weekend at the Comedy Nest, with different special guests each night. The Comedy Nest is located on the 3rd floor of the Montreal Forum (2313 Ste-Catherine West). Friday at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 8 p.m. & 10:30 p.m.Tickets are $15. $10 for students.
5. Polaris Music Prize winners Godspeed You! Black Emperor come home for two shows at the Metropolis (59 Ste-Catherine East). Saturday and Sunday at 8 p.m. Tickets are $32.