Pierre's picks: 5 don't-miss events in Montreal this weekend
Every Friday, CBC Montreal’s Homerun arts reporter Pierre Landry brings you the top five things to see and do in Montreal over the weekend.
Happy Thanksgiving weekend! There's lots to do in Montreal this Oct. 11, 12 and 13.
1. The Festival du Nouveau Cinéma is in its 42nd year and shows no sign of slowing down. Xavier Dolan's latest film, Tom à la ferme, is presented there for the first time in Quebec. Friday at 7 p.m. at Cinéma Impérial and Sunday at 4:40 p.m. at Excentris.
2. Record collectors unite! The always popular Montreal Autumn Record Convention takes place at ÉgliseSaint–Enfant–Jésus, Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
3. DJ Champion is celebrating a decade in the biz with his dance beats and catchy hooks. With his band G-Strings, Champion is throwing a bash at the Société des Arts Technologiques, 1201 St-Laurent Boulevard. Saturday at 8 p.m.
4. Forget the turkey dinner, the real Thanksgiving tradition in Montreal is the Black and Blue Festival — now in its 23rd year! The main event this year takes places at L'Arsenal on Sunday. Some of the world's best DJs will be on hand throughout.
5. Les Grands Ballets Canadiens present Sleeping Beauty, choreographed by Mats Ek. The story is much darker than the traditional tale, as Princess Aurora falls victim not to the spindle of a spinning wheel but rather to a heroin needle. Until October 26 at ThéâtreMaisonneuve of Place des Arts.