The owner of a clothing boutique in Old Montreal where two men were killed and two others were injured last month will spend the next 10 months in jail, a judge ruled Monday.
Ducarme Joseph, 41, who police said was the target of a deadly shooting at Flawnego Fashion on Saint-Jacques St. W., on March 18 has been behind bars since he was arrested by police a day after the shooting.
As part of a plea bargain, Judge Jean Pierre Boyer sentenced Joseph on Monday to 10 months in jail following the one month he has already spent there since his arrest.
When Joseph was arrested he was in violation of his bail conditions because he was with two men he was forbidden to see stemming from a September 2009 fight at Buona Notte restaurant on Saint-Laurent Boulevard.
Joseph, whom police have called the most dangerous street gang member in Montreal, pleaded guilty Monday to an assualt charge stemming from the September incident and to the illegal possession of a firearm silencer.
Leader of Montreal gang: police
Police detectives have said Joseph is the leader of the 67 gang, named after a bus route in Montreal's Saint-Michel district, and affiliated with the Crips gang, also known as the Blues.
Police have speculated that the professionally executed slayings were an act of retaliation connected to the criminal underworld.
They said the incident may be a revenge attack for the December 2009 slaying of Nick Rizzuto Jr., the son of the reputed head of the Montreal mafia, Vito Rizzuto.
Vito Rizzuto is currently in a medium-security prison in Colorado, serving a 10-year sentence for racketeering in connection with three murders in Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1981.
Police have released a surveillance video and are still searching for two male suspects under the age of 30 involved in the March 18 shooting.