Montreal police shot at by man barricaded in home

A standoff between Montreal police and an armed man barricaded inside his home after he shot at officers continued into Tuesday evening.

Tense standoff with gunman in Côte St-Luc

Police are trying to talk down a man who has barricaded himself inside his home. 0:30

A standoff between Montreal police and an armed man barricaded inside his home after he shot at officers continued into Tuesday evening.

Police said they received a call on Tuesday morning about a man yelling at workers in front of his Côte St-Luc home, near the corner of Guelph Road and Blossom Avenue.

The man is believed to be in his 70s.

After the tactical squad arrived on the scene at about 11:30 a.m., the man shot toward them, police said.

One officer was injured in the foot, although police Const. Anie Lemieux said the injury was minor and the officer was able to continue his role in the operation.

Over the course of the afternoon, police used a megaphone to make multiple attempts to coax the man outside of his home.

A police tactical unit is on the scene in the normally quiet neighbourhood in Côte St-Luc. (CBC)

Kay Wolofsky, who lives in the neighbourhood, was told by police to go back inside when she tried to leave her home for an appointment.

"I have a feeling I'm the only person with a ringside seat," she told CBC Radio's Homerun.

Watching the scene from her window, Wolofsky said it's disturbing to have so much activity on the normally quiet cul-de-sac.

"It's a nightmare," she said. "This is such a quiet corner of Côte St-Luc."

At one point, Wolofsky said, she opened her door to ask officers if her husband would be able to come home, and she was shouted at to go back inside.

"It's pretty tense," she said.

Const. Lemieux said police are asking residents to avoid the scene.

"What is important right now is the safety of the man inside and the police in the operation," she said.

Police have blocked off street access to a section of Guelph Road until further notice.