Quebec's police watchdog investigating fatal police chase in Montreal North

According to Quebec's independent investigations bureau (BEI), a 22-year-old man died after he jumped from the moving truck he was riding in and was run over by it. A 17-year-old youth has been arrested

22-year-old man died after he jumped from truck and was run over by it. Driver, 17, has been arrested

The province's bureau of independent investigations is looking into an incident involving Montreal police that took place at the corner of Langelier Boulevard and Marie-Victorin Street in Montreal North early Tuesday. (Ainslie MacLellan/CBC)

Quebec's independent investigations bureau (BEI) is investigating after a man died during a chase involving Montreal police overnight. 

According to preliminary information gathered by the BEI, just after midnight officers from a police station in Pointe-aux-Trembles received a call about a white cube truck that had been involved in a hit and run.

Officers located the truck and gave chase. The chase lasted a few minutes and was called off, the BEI says.

About 10 minutes later, the same truck drove by patrol officers parked in Montreal North. Those officers then pursued the truck.

During the chase, it appears the truck's passenger, a 22-year-old man, jumped from the vehicle and was run over by it, the BEI said.

Police at the scene tended to the man until he was transported to hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The truck's driver continued on and was eventually arrested on Highway 25 near the intersection of Highway 640.

The driver was arrested near the intersection of Highways 25 and 640. (Alain Béland/Radio-Canada)

Radio-Canada has learned the driver is a 17-year-old youth.

The BEI, which probes deaths or serious injuries in incidents involving police, has assigned 10 investigators to the case. They arrived at the scene around 4:55 a.m.

The Sûreté du Québec will assist with the investigation in a support role.

Langelier Boulevard was closed for a time for the investigation, but it has since been reopened.

Police set up a command post at the corner of Langelier Boulevard and Marie-Victorin Street. The intersection was cordoned off, and a white running shoe could be seen lying on the ground early Tuesday morning.