A select group of downtown streets is closed to traffic today for Montreal's annual Car-Free Day.
- Square Victoria and McGill streets between Viger and St-Antoine Street West are closed to cars until 11:59 p.m Friday.
- Ste-Antoine Street West between University Street and Saint-Alexandre Street is closed until 7 p.m. tonight.
Parking is also prohibited until 11:59 p.m. Friday along the following:
- Square Victoria Street
- Viger Street West between University and St-Alexandre streets
- St-Antoine Street West between University and St-Alexandre streets
- Beaver Hall between Rene-Levesque West and Viger West
- McGill Street between St-Maurice and St-Jacques streets.
Car-Free Day takes place in 2,150 cities worldwide.
The event aims to get people thinking about the negative effects of cars on the quality of urban life.
To celebrate Car-Free Day, Montreal turned over its streets to pedestrians, musicians and street hockey. The event also included a workshop by the local street artist, Roadsworth.
Montreal’s Car-Free Day is organized by Montreal’s metropolitan transit agency (AMT).
This Sunday, Sept. 22, will also see Atwater Street closed between Duvernay and Rufus Rockhead streets between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. for a local version of Car-Free Day.