Longueuil fire injures 2 after cigarette ignites couch

A couch fire started by a cigarette in a St-Hubert home left a man with burns to 20 per cent of his body.

St-Hubert man and woman have burns to 10 to 20% of their bodies

Two people were injured after a fire started by a cigarette inside a St-Hubert home. (Kate McKenna/CBC)

A couch fire started by a cigarette in a St-Hubert home left a man with burns to 20 per cent of his body and a woman with burns to 10 per cent of her body.

Firefighters were called to the home on Place Mauriat around 1 a.m. ET. They found a woman on the front lawn.

A neighbour said the woman knocked on her door, singed and bleeding, seeking help. She had jumped from the second floor of the home to escape the fire. 

Neighbour Asjaa Hannoune said the woman was screaming for her husband and dog.

The man had to be rescued from the home. He is in critical condition but is expected to survive.

Firefighters dragged the smouldering couch and the charred remains of an armchair onto the lawn of the home, along with a dog crate.

Neither the dog nor a cat in the home were hurt.

There was about $30,000 worth of damage to the home. Police are not investigating any further.