Lac-Mégantic bar destroyed by explosions opens new location
Musi-Café lost staff, clients in the disaster
The Lac-Mégantic bar decimated by the train derailment and explosion earlier this month is reopening in a new, temporary location.
The Musi-Café was at the epicentre of the blast site and many of its staff members and clients are among the dead and missing.
The "Musi-Café d'été" will operate in the parking lot of the local Maxi grocery store and will offer free performances from some significant Quebec artists throughout the summer.
"The Musi-Café became a symbol of the devastation… We now want it to be a symbol of the resilience of the residents to take the first step and look forward," said Yannick Gagné, the bar’s owner.
The musicians on the bill have volunteered their time to play the shows. The bar is also hiring servers and security from other restaurants that were damaged in the explosions or remain inside the restricted red zone.
Forty-two victims have so far been found in the city's devastated core, of the 47 confirmed dead or missing.
Officials have said crews hope to conclude the search in coming weeks, but will will continue the work longer if necessary.
Schedule for the Musi-Café concerts in Lac-Mégantic
- Aug. 2: Fred Pellerin and Nicolas Pellerin, with Les Grands Hurleurs
- Aug. 3: Vincent Vallières et André Papanicolaou
- Aug. 4: Valérie Carpentier (winner of the reality show, La Voix) and guests
- Aug. 7: Collectif Star Académie, with Bryan Audet, Olivier Dion, Andréanne A. Malette, Andrée-Anne Leclerc and François Lachance
- Aug. 8 : William Deslauriers
- Aug. 16: Michel Rivard
- Aug. 17: Dan Bigras
- Aug. 18 : Antoine Gratton
- Aug. 19: Brigitte Boisjoli, Patrick Bourgeois and Renée Martel
- Aug. 20: Sophie Vaillancourt
- Aug. 23: Maxime Landry
- Aug. 28 : Jean-Marc Couture
- Aug. 30 : Paul Piché
- Aug. 31 : Marie-Mai
- Sept. 1 : Richard Desjardins
- Sept. 4 : Karim Ouellet
- Sept. 5 : Émile Proulx-Cloutier et invités
- Sept. 6 : Claude Dubois
- Sept. 8 : Mara Tremblay
- Sept. 12 : Louis-Jean Cormier
- Sept. 13 : Marc Déry
- Sept. 14 : Richard Séguin
- Sept. 15: Florence K