Labour Day: What's open and closed in Montreal area
Find out what's open and closed on Sept. 1 for the Labour Day holiday.
Find out what's open and closed on Sept. 1 for the Labour Day holiday
City and government services
- Garbage, green waste, recycling and large-item collection will happen as per regular schedule, except in Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie, where large-item collection is cancelled.
- Most City of Montreal offices, including borough offices, Accès-Montréal offices and different service points are closed. Call 311 for more detailed information.
- Montreal’s municipal court offices are closed.
- Service Canada call centres are closed.
- There will be no mail delivery on Monday.
- Eco-centres are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Services and stores
- All major bank branches are closed.
- All large grocery stores in the metropolitan region are closed, including IGA, Provigo/Loblaws and Metro (except for these). Many small grocery stores will likely be open, according to provincial rules.
- SAQ stores are open except ones in shopping centres that are closed for the holiday.
- All public markets are open (Atwater, Jean-Talon, Maisonneuve, Lachine), as is Marché Bonsecours in the Old Port.
- Some pharmacies are open. Call your pharmacy to know their specific opening hours.
- Most STM bus lines and Metro lines will run according to a Sunday schedule. Consult www.stm.info or call A-U-T-O-B-U-S (514-288-6287) for schedule information.
- Longueuil buses will run on a Sunday schedule.
- Laval buses will run on a Sunday schedule.
- The AMT’s Candiac-St-Hilaire line will not be running. All other AMT train lines will run according to a Sunday schedule.
- All parking regulations and restrictions will apply during this time.
- Claude-Robillard sports complex and the outdoor tennis courts are closed.
- Arenas, pools, sports centres, libraries and other cultural buildings have varied schedules. The city says to call them directly to know their opening hours.
- The Botanical Garden, Biodome and Insectarium are open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Planetarium Rio Tinto Alcan is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Pointe-a-Callière Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.