Guy Turcotte seeks conditional release pending new trial

Guy Turcotte’s efforts to win conditional release while he awaits a new trial into the stabbing deaths of his two children resume today at the courthouse in St-Jérôme, north of Montreal.

Ex-cardiologist will be retried next year for the stabbing deaths of his 2 children

In his first trial, former Quebec cardiologist Guy Turcotte was found not criminally responsible for stabbing his two children to death in 2009. His new trial is in September 2015.

Psychiatrists treating child killer Guy Turcotte say the former cardiologist's mental state deteriorated after it was announced last November that he would face a new trial.

Renée Roy, a psychiatrist at the Philippe Pinel Institute where Turcotte was being held at the time, said his patient experienced major depression and psychotic episodes and was on medication for both.

Roy and other psychiatrists asserted today, however, that Turcotte is not a danger to himself or the public.

Turcotte is seeking a conditional release at the courthouse in St-Jérôme, north of Montreal, pending his new trial for the 2009 stabbing deaths of his two children.

The former cardiologist was charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Olivier, 5, and Anne-Sophie, 3.

In the first trial in 2011, Turcotte was found not criminally responsible because of a mental-health disorder.

Turcotte spent 18 months at a Montreal psychiatric hospital, the Pinel Institute, before his release in December 2012.

In September 2013, the Crown appealed the 2011 jury decision and asked the court to order a new trial.

The prosecutor argued that the judge in the first trial should not have given the jury the option of finding Turcotte not criminally responsible.

The Quebec Court of Appeal agreed and ruled last November that Turcotte would stand trial again on two counts of first-degree murder.

The Supreme Court of Canada rejected Turcotte's appeal of that decision last March.

Turcotte turned himself in to police shortly after the Appeal Court ruling and is now being held at the Rivière-des-Prairies Detention Centre in Montreal.

His second murder trial is set for Sept. 14,  2015.