Notifications

Fire rips through Sheppard St. apartment building

Ten people were forced out into the street after a fire broke out in a three-storey building in Ville-Marie late Monday night.

Nearly 100 firefighters called in to put out flames

Firefighters evacuated neighbouring residences as they worked to put out the fire. (Radio-Canada)

Ten people were forced out into the street after a fire broke out in a three-storey building on Sheppard Street south of Sherbrooke late Monday night.  

Nearly 100 firefighters responded to call after the fire, which started on the ground floor, spread throughout the building at around 10 p.m.

Several neighbouring buildings were evacuated a precaution as firefighters doused the flames.

Michel Girard, operations chief with Montreal fire service, said a firefighter was injured and was taken to hospital.

Damage to the building was estimated at $300,000.

The fire appears to have been sparked by an electrical problem.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.