Dave Courage is suing the Quebec government and Équipe Spectra, the owner of the Montreal cultural venue Metropolis, for $295,000 after being shot at the Parti Québécois's election night victory rally on Sept. 4, 2012.
Courage was working as a stage technician that night at Metropolis. He was struck by the same bullet that killed his friend and co-worker Denis Blanchette.
- PQ rally shooting victim still lives in pain
- Quebec election shooting survivor recalls night's event
- PQ raises money for victory rally shooting victim
Courage, who was 27 years old at the time of the incident, said he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of the shooting. He said he moved away from Montreal with his family to try to forget the events of that night.
In the documents he submitted to Quebec Superior Court, he said not enough steps were taken to ensure his safety.
Équipe Spectra refused to comment, while the Quebec government has yet to reply to requests for comment.
'Promises but no action'
He told CBC News in August that he suffers from constant pain and fear, and that he felt he had been abandoned by the PQ after the shooting.
"I feel like they brush me off every chance they get. I feel like they’re playing the political game. They’re giving me promises but no action," Courage said.
He receives $50 a day from the province’s workplace health and safety board — not enough, he said, to take care of him, his spouse and their three children.
A year after the incident, the party announced it was trying to raise money for Courage.