Court procedures to determine whether the man accused of killing two people at the Parti Québécois' election night rally is fit to stand trial have been delayed once again.

Richard Henry Bain appeared in a Montreal courtroom today and made a series of demands, including a request to have a psychiatric evaluation translated to English.

Procedures that were scheduled to take place on Dec. 17 were also delayed because Bain refused to undergo a mental assessment in French.

When asked by the judge about the evaluation, Bain said results showed he was "75 per cent fit to stand trial." Formal assessment results were not made public.

He said it was his legal right under Quebec's language law to receive an English copy of the assessment.

He also told the court that his life was at risk because authorities intend to move him from protective custody to the general prison population.

Bain said he hopes to fight the Marois government with the help of supporters.

"They know I'm broke and have no money," he said. "I need someone to open me a website to raise money to fight this separatist government."

He faces 16 charges, including first-degree murder, attempted murder, arson and weapons violations, following a fatal shooting at the Parti Québécois' election night rally on Sept. 4.

Stagehand Denis Blanchette, 48, was killed during the attack and a co-worker was injured.

Bain is due back in court on Jan. 18.

Lawyer's request to stop representing Bain denied

Bain's legal aid lawyer, Elfride Duclervil, had her request to stop representing Bain denied by Judge Jean-Paul Braun.

She said Bain does not qualify for legal aid and told reporters representing him is a challenge.

"It is a challenge because throughout the course of the trial, us lawyers, we always advise our clients to remain silent and Mr. Bain has a habit of communicating with the media," said Duclervil.

Earlier this week, Bain contacted French TV station TVA and talked about the conditions surrounding his detention at the Pinel Institute.

In September, he called radio station CJAD and reportedly talked about a plan to turn Montreal into a city-state.

During a TV appearance in December, Premier Pauline Marois said she believed the shooting was an attempt to end her life.

With files from The Canadian Press