Victoriaville baby seriously burned after child seat placed on stovetop
Grandfather says parents 'blame themselves,' calling it an accident
The grandfather of a Quebec baby girl who suffered serious burns when her child seat was placed on a stovetop and caught fire says her parents blame themselves.
Gabriel Morin said the parents of the five-month-old feel terrible about the incident, which he maintained was an accident.
"Like it or not, they blame themselves," he said.
The condition of the baby from Victoriaville was first considered critical, but had stabilized by Friday. Police say her life is no longer in danger.
Provincial police Sgt. Geneviève Bruneau said firefighters responded to a call around 8 p.m. ET Thursday in the community 160 kilometres northeast of Montreal.
"The firefighters were able to stop the fire quickly," Bruneau said, adding the baby was taken to a Montreal hospital with "major injuries."
Neighbour swaddled baby
Neighbour Jeannine Gendron said she heard the alarm go off and left her apartment to see what was wrong.
"I saw a lot of smoke and the door next door was open with smoke coming out. [The mother] had the baby in her arms," she said.
Gendron saw the baby didn't have a blanket, so she returned to her apartment to get one and swaddled the baby.
"I saw the baby was burned on her face and the father was burned on his arms."
Bruneau said the father received burns to his hands and the mother was treated for shock.
Investigators spoke to the parents, who were released from hospital Friday morning, and will determine if charges are warranted.
The parents said they were travelling to Montreal to see their daughter in hospital.