This morning's high winds forced authorities to shut down the reserved bus lane on the Champlain Bridge, yet another snag as crews race to repair the aging bridge.

Three Montreal-bound lanes will remain open, but only two are open towards the South Shore as workers repair a 2 millimetre crack discovered last week. 

The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Corporation is requesting commuters from the South Shore use public transit to help avoid traffic delays.

Over the weekend, the Corporation and the Agence MĂ©tropolitaine de Transport said 7,300 seats had been added on trains, metro and buses to compensate.

The reserved bus lane was supposed to be a part of that plan. 

On Friday, the Quebec government unveiled 12 short-term measures to help alleviate traffic congestion on the Champlain Bridge while one southbound lane is closed for month-long repairs.

The lane closure comes after workers found a crack in one of the girders supporting the Champlain Bridge.

'The federal government has been dragging its feet'

A replacement for the Champlain bridge is set to be completed in 2021, although the federal Minister of Infrastructure Denis Lebel says the government is doing its best to speed up the process.

Hoang Mai, the NDP MP for Brossard—La-Prairie and the deputy critic for transportation, says the federal government is moving too slowly.

"I think [Infrastructure Minister Denis Lebel] is always one step behind. The federal government has been dragging its feet on this file," Mai told CBC Daybreak host Mike Finnerty.

Mai added that the design shouldn't be sacrificed for speed. 

"A lot of people have been asking for an international competition with respect to international design. And we still haven't seen anything."