Aux Vivres chef badly injured after getting arm caught in machine
Cook at vegan restaurant in Plateau-Mont-Royal transported to hospital with part of pita maker still attached
A man is in serious condition after getting his arm caught in a pita-making machine in the kitchen of a Montreal vegan restaurant, Aux Vivres.
Urgences-Santé told CBC News that it received a call from the St-Laurent Boulevard restaurant around 8:30 a.m. Friday.
“When we arrived at the scene his arm was still pretty much up to the elbow stuck in the machine. He was conscious and alert and able to talk to our paramedics, but in the end it was impossible. There was no way we could get his arm out of the machine,” said Urgences-Santé spokesman Bob Lamle.
Lamle said paramedics were faced with two options: either we could bring a medical team there, a surgical team there, or we could disassemble that part of the machine and transport the patient with the machine to the hospital.
They disassembled part of the machine and left it attached to the man while transporting him to Notre-Dame Hospital.
CSST spokeswoman Marie-France Vermette said the machine was a pita maker and the man got his hand caught in a feeder mechanism.
The CSST is investigating the incident.
The victim has not been identified.