Atwater Market reopens after early morning fire

Most shops at market are open for business now after overnight fire caused about $50,000 in damages, firefighters estimate.

Small section remains off-limits after overnight fire caused about $50,000 in damages

The fire started on the wooden display stands used at the market during the summer, a spokesperson said. (Radio-Canada)

A majority of the Atwater Market has reopened after shutting down this morning due to a possible electrical fire that started at around 3:30 a.m.

Officials say they hope to have it fully reopened by the end of the day.

The damage is estimated at about $50,000, according to Martin Farmer, spokesperson for the Service de sécurité incendie de Montréal.

"There is significant damage," Farmer said.

The fire started in the wooden display stands used during the summer, Farmer said.

It happened on the main floor of the market, and the fire did not affect the main building, only the outer walls, which are removable, according to Luc Beauparlant from Montréal's Public Markets corporation.

The market was closed for most of the morning while Quebec's Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAPAQ) workers assessed whether any food was contaminated by smoke.

The food at the store that caught fire will not be salvageable, he said.

The cause seems to be accidental, and no one was injured.

With files from Jay Turnbull