Antony Piazza, the man accused of trying to bring bomb-making materials onto a plane at the Montreal airport, is facing a new charge that carries a maximum sentence of 14 years.
The new charge is for placing on board an aircraft anything that is likely to cause damage to the aircraft, that will render it incapable of flight or that is likely to endanger the safety of the aircraft in flight.
The 71-year-old LaSalle man is already facing charges of possession of an explosive device, attempting to take an explosive device aboard an aircraft and mischief in connection with an Oct. 27 event at Montreal's Pierre Elliott Trudeau airport.
Piazza was at the airport to catch a flight to Los Angeles.
Along with the addition of the fourth charge comes a third delay in Piazza's bail hearing, which was scheduled for today.
He may request bail in early December, though lawyers also agreed to go straight to a preliminary hearing on January 23 and 24.
Police said his carry-on bag contained components for making an explosive device, though it did not contain actual explosive material.
"He had numerous parts of an explosive device, except the explosive itself," said Montreal police Cmdr. Ian Lafrenière last month.
Piazza's defence said the bag did not belong to him.