The man accused in the Quebec election night shooting last September will be representing himself in court after he was found not to qualify for legal aid.
Richard Henry Bain faces 16 charges, including first-degree murder, attempted murder, arson and weapons violations stemming from a Sept. 4, 2012, attack that took place at the Montreal Metropolis during the Parti Québécois victory rally.
At a court appearance in Montreal on Wednesday, Bain went on a tirade about several subjects, in part because the letter rejecting his appeal for legal aid was written in French.
The judge called a recess while the letter was translated.
After reconvening in the courtroom about 15 minutes later, the judge reprimanded Bain for his behaviour.
Bain apologized but kept complaining that staff at the Rivière-des-Prairies detention centre only speak to him in French and won't let him call the media anymore.
Bain also said he had a few letters to send out, one of which is addressed to Quebec Premier Pauline Marois.
The Crown tried to have Marois added to the "no contact" list as she may have to testify in the case, but the judge refused.
Later, a spokesperson for the Crown prosecutor said it is not sure if Marois would actually be called to testify in the case.
Bain will be back in court on March 12.
Last month, the judge denied Bain's former lawyer's request to withdraw from the case until the issue of Bain's fitness to stand trial was resolved.