A 13-year-old boy from Quebec has been charged with attempted murder, confinement, armed sexual assault and aggravated sexual assault in connection with an attack on a 13-year-old girl in Répentigny, 35 kilometres northeast of Montreal.
The accused entered a plea of not guilty to four charges this afternoon in youth court at the Joliette, Que., courthouse.
Parents of the victim called police at 8:20 p.m. on Thursday after their daughter failed to return from school, and checks with all her friends turned up no trace of her.
"This is a girl with good marks in school," said Répentigny police chief inspector Serge Adam. "She had no history of running away, no involvement with drugs or alcohol."
Adam said police were at the girl's home to begin their investigation when the teenager returned at around 9 p.m..
"She was badly injured and missing several pieces of clothing," Adam said.
The girl was taken to hospital and treated for her injuries.
Adam said the girl told police she had been at the nearby home of a 13-year-old boy she knew from school.
The suspect will be back in court on Tuesday.