100,000 litres of diesel spilled in Magdalen Islands
Pipeline leak discovered last Saturday near the harbour of Cap-aux-Meules
Hydro-Québec estimates that 100,000 litres of diesel were spilled near the Cap-aux-Meules harbour, in the Magdalen Islands, because of a pipeline leak, discovered last Saturday.
The government-owned public utility says about 90 per cent of the diesel has soaked into the ground. The remaining 10 per cent is still in the harbour.
Hydro-Québec says cleanup is underway with 20,000 litres of oil already recovered. It is also waiting for the province’s environment ministry to come up with a longer term cleanup and restoration plan.
The company says it has also found the source of the leak along the pipeline, and is inspecting a three kilometre section to ensure the rest is in good condition.