Gerrard won't lead Manitoba Liberals in next election
Posted: Oct 20, 2011 4:10 PM CT
Last Updated: Oct 20, 2011 4:30 PM CT
Jon Gerrard says he will step down as leader of Manitoba's Liberals by 2013, after his successor has been chosen in a leadership convention.
Gerrard, who secured the Liberals' only seat in this fall's provincial election, made the announcement on Thursday amid mounting criticism from within his own party.
"Things are moving in the direction of having a full leadership convention, probably in 2013, and I have no intention of running at that point," Gerrard told reporters at the legislature, following the speech from the throne.
Gerrard, who has led the provincial party since 1998, said he will make a further announcement about his intentions later in the year.
"I will be providing a full statement by the end of the year, a full clarification, after the full consultation with the rest of the people in the Liberal Party," he said.
Before he took the helm of Manitoba's Liberals, Gerrard served one term in the federal Liberal government under Jean Chretien between 1993 and 1997, when he lost a bid for re-election.
In the 13 years Gerrard has been Liberal leader, the party has never drawn much more than about 13 per cent of the popular vote.
The Liberals won just 7.53 per cent of the vote in the Oct. 4 election.
Gerrard was re-elected in Winnipeg's River Heights riding, leaving him as the sole Liberal in the legislature.
Thursday's announcement means both of Manitoba's opposition parties will be seeking new leaders in the aftermath of the election, in which the New Democrats won an unprecedented fourth term in power.
Progressive Conservative Leader Hugh McFadyen has already said he will step down as that party's leader, as a result of his party's election loss.With files from The Canadian Press
Manitoba Election Results
Updated: Oct. 5, 2011, 9:08 AM EDT
|Party||Elected||Leading||Total||Vote Share (%)|
All results are unofficial until final ballot counts are verified by Elections Manitoba. CBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Latest Manitoba Votes 2011 Headlines
- Gerrard won't lead Manitoba Liberals in next election
- Jon Gerrard says he will step down as leader of Manitoba's Liberals by 2013, after his successor has been chosen. more »
- Candidates not rushing for PC leadership bid
- Progressive Conservative MLAs in Manitoba are about to head into a new session of the legislature, wondering who their next leader will be. more »
- Steeves not seeking former city seat
- Former Winnipeg city councillor Gord Steeves, who left council this year to launch an unsuccessful run for provincial politics, says he will not be vying for his old civic seat. more »
- Changes loom for parties after Manitoba election
- It's the day after the Manitoba election, and politicians are planning for changes. more »