An elderly woman has died in a fire that started Tuesday afternoon inside a suite on the eighth floor of a Grant Avenue apartment building.

Winnipeg fire crews were called to 1179 Grant Ave. at around 3:30 p.m.

An 85-year-old woman was found dead inside the suite.

A second woman, from a neighbouring suite, was taken to hospital in stable condition to be treated for smoke inhalation, fire officials told CBC News.

The cause of the fire has been deemed to be accidental.

Damages are estimated at $30,000.