Some Winnipeg students won't be seeking just treats when they go door-to-door tonight — they'll also be asking for non-perishable food bank donations.
Students from several schools across the city are taking part in We Scare Hunger, an international initiative to benefit food banks this Halloween.
Winnipeg Harvest will receive the food donations that are collected in the city.
"If I had to choose between getting extra candy or giving someone food so they can survive, I would choose giving someone food," said Caitlin Brakel, a Grade 8 student at Hastings School.
At École Van Walleghem School, students have been broadcasting skits over the public address system all week to encourage other kids to ask for food bank donations when they go door-to-door.
Alex Whyard, a Van Walleghem student who took part in We Scare Hunger last year, said some parents were surprised by her request for food donations.
"It's like, 'Wow, I can't believe these kids want like non-perishables; that's so weird!' But they were very supportive," she said.
"They came back from their pantries with a couple of food items, and we headed on our way to the next house."
We Scare Hunger is part of Free the Children, the organization that brought We Day to the MTS Centre on Thursday.
Students in the United States and the United Kingdom are also taking part in the initiative.
Safe Halloween in North End
Meanwhile, many costumed kids in Winnipeg's North End are heading to the Indian and Métis Friendship Centre for its annual indoor Halloween event.
The indoor event aims to be a safer alternative to trick-or-treating outside.
It was organized days after a triple-shooting killed two men and injured a teenage girl in the neighbourhood in October 2010.
Organizers say 500 children took part in the first safe Halloween event in 2010, but that number grew to more than 2,000 in 2012.
Just under 1,200 people came to this year's event on Thursday afternoon, according to organizers.