Faron Hall, a Winnipeg man known for saving two people from drowning in the Red River, is in hospital after being beaten and seriously injured at his apartment Saturday. (CBC)

Faron Hall, known in Winnipeg as a homeless hero, remained in a hospital critical care unit on Sunday after allegedly being attacked and viciously beaten by two people in his apartment on Saturday.

Hall, 45, was rushed to hospital in critical condition just after 3 p.m. CT but has since been upgraded to stable condition, said a spokeswoman for the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority.

Police said on Sunday that Hall and two other people — a man and a woman — had been socializing inside an apartment on Marion Street in the St. Boniface neighbourhood.

Hall was beaten with a piece of broken furniture after the three became involved in a verbal dispute, police said. Initial reports said that Hall had been stabbed, but police later said that was incorrect.

Police said a security guard at the apartment block called 911. Hall was found suffering numerous upper-body injuries.

"I can't get into the specifics," said Const. Jacqueline Chaput. "[The injuries were] not life-threatening, but very serious," she said.

Geraldine Ruth Colomb, 31, was arrested and charged on Saturday with aggravated assault, police said. Police are still looking for the man who was also in Hall's apartment, Chaput said.

"A further arrest is pending," Chaput said in a statement. Colomb is being held in custody at the Winnipeg Remand Centre.

Heroism captured national attention

Hall made national headlines in May after he saved Joseph Mousseau, 19, from drowning in the icy Red River. Despite the fast-moving spring current, Hall swam out to him and pulled the teen to safety.

He was later presented with the Winnipeg mayor's Medal of Valour.

Then in September, he rescued his friend, Tara Beardy, from the same river as they sat near the Norwood Bridge.

At the time of the first rescue, Hall had been homeless for years, often staying on the banks of the river and drinking heavily. Saving the boy's life was a personal turning point, he told CBC News in prior interviews.

Shortly after the May rescue, Hall moved into the government-owned apartment block where the beating took place.

Saturday's violence marks the second time Hall has been attacked recently.

On Christmas Eve, Hall said he was beaten up by people he said recognized him from stories in the media.