Winnipeg police have been busy this long weekend investigating three separate homicides since Saturday morning. 

The latest had officers close off a section of Langside Street between Portage Avenue and Ellice Avenue.

Police have not released many details about what happened aside from the fact that they were called to 300 block of Langside Street at about 5:30 a.m. Sunday to check on the well being of a person.

Officers found a man who had been assaulted. He was taken to hospital with life threatening injuries, where he later died.

Police have also surrounded a home on Furby Street as well. Several people have been taken from the house.

There are no details on what led to the assault. The victim's name has not been released.

Man, 30, dies in hospital

Police are investigating a second homicide resulting from a stabbing early Saturday morning.


Police block off an aread on Manitoba Avenue where a man was stabbed and later died in hospital. (CBC)

Michael James Flett, 30, of Winnipeg was the victim of the latest of those stabbings. 

Officers found him suffering from stab wounds in the 400 block of Manitoba Avenue at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday.

He was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries, where he later died.

An autopsy has been ordered — the cause of death has not yet been determined.

Police have not given any other details about what happened.

Double stabbing victim, 25, killed

In a separate incident, John James Allen Lund, 25, of Winnipeg was killed after a stabbing in the 400 block of Pritchard Avenue.


John James Allen Lund, 25, was killed after an altercation broke out at a house party that led to a stabbing in the 400 block of Pritchard Avenue. (Facebook )

Police responded to a home at about 2:15 a.m. where they found two men who had been stabbed.

Both were taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries. Lund later died, while the other man was upgraded to stable condition.

Investigators said a group of people were at a house party when a verbal altercation broke out. The argument escalated and a man assaulted the other two victims.

"Sounds like there was a party going on and whatever reason a verbal argument took place between the suspect and two victims and that sustpect did arm himself with a weapon," said Const. Eric Hofley with Winnipeg police.

The suspect then fled the scene.

A short time later police found and arrested Joseph Biggeorge, 22, who is facing several charges including second degree murder and attempted murder.

He remains in custody.