Power fully restored but roads still closed in Polo Park area after gas leak Thursday
Natural gas leak knocked out power for 20,000 customers at its peak
Drivers are asked to avoid the area around St. Matthews Avenue and Empress Street on Friday morning after a major natural gas leak Thursday night, but Manitoba Hydro says power in the area is now fully restored.
The leak, which was first detected at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, caused the evacuation of the Polo Park Shopping Centre and several businesses in the area. At its peak, power was out for 20,000 Hydro customers in a wide area.
Shortly after 7:30 a.m. Friday, Manitoba Hydro said on Twitter that power had been restored for all of those customers.
The corporation had said earlier power was restored to nearly everybody by 6:30 a.m., except for the Home Depot, Toys R Us and the old Target building in the area, which were kept dark for safety as crews monitored gas levels.
At 11:15 a.m., Hydro posted the evacuation of Polo Park had been lifted and gas levels were safe.
Shortly before 8 a.m., Empress was still closed from Maroons Road to Ellice Avenue, and St. Matthews was closed from Milt Stegall Drive to Strathcona Street.
<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/mboutage?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#mboutage</a> update: Evacuation in Polo Park area has been lifted. Gas levels are safe. All customers have power restored. On behalf of <a href="https://twitter.com/cityofwinnipeg?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@cityofwinnipeg</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/wpgpolice?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@wpgpolice</a>, and our crews, we appreciate your patience as we've dealt with this emergency situation.—@manitobahydro
TRAFFIC UPDATE: EMPRESS is closed from ELLICE south to MAROONS ROAD, and ST. MATHEWS is closed from MILT STEGALL DR. east to STRATHCONA. Due to a gas leak.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WpgTMC?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WpgTMC</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/winnipeg?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#winnipeg</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/traffic?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#traffic</a> <a href="https://t.co/qloorF2ETh">pic.twitter.com/qloorF2ETh</a>—@WinnipegTMC
- An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the leak caused a power outage affecting 2,000 customers; in fact, 20,000 customers lost power.Apr 13, 2018 8:20 AM CT