A Winnipeg man says he's upset with the Seven Oaks General Hospital and the city after his 77-year-old father died from injuries he sustained when his bicycle hit a pothole.

Michael Henrickson says his father, Edward, was cycling near Airlies Street and Cathedral Avenue on Sunday when he hit a water-filled pothole.

"My dad was northbound riding his bicycle last Sunday. He hit this hole, and he went head over handlebars," Henrickson told CBC News on Wednesday.

Seven Oaks General Hospital ER sign

Edward Henrickson was rushed to the Seven Oaks hospital's emergency ward, where he waited for three hours before being transferred to the Health Sciences Centre. He later died of head injuries, said his son, Michael. (CBC)

Debbie Favel, who saw the incident happen, said the elder Henrickson was not wearing a helmet and did not see the pothole. He hit his head when he fell, she added.

"I [saw] him go down first and then I've seen the bike go right over him. And where he landed is where all the blood is," she said.

Henrickson said his father was rushed to the Seven Oaks hospital's emergency ward, where he waited for three hours before being transferred to the Health Sciences Centre.

Edward Henrickson died of head injuries.

No one at Seven Oaks had tried to call the family, Michael Henrickson said, adding that family members eventually found out where he was on their own.

"He was a patient there; they had his information on file. Proximity-wise, we were 10 minutes away from the hospital," Henrickson said.

"We could have had conversations with him when he was alert and talking to the Seven Oaks staff."

'We made a mistake,' says hospital official

Henrickson said he wants to make sure hospital staff will contact next of kin when a patient is brought into the emergency ward.

"My dad wasn't there for stitches or for a cold. He had massive head trauma, and somebody should have been making some calls and trying to get next of kin," he said.

Dr. Ricardo Lobato de Faria, the chief medical officer at Seven Oaks General Hospital, told CBC News that staff have apologized to Henrickson's family.

Lobato de Faria said policies are already in place to ensure family members are contacted.

"In this case, we made a mistake," he said.

"We did not call the family when we had plenty of opportunity to do so…. We robbed them of the opportunity to say goodbye to their loved one."

Pothole also an issue

Henrickson said also at issue is the pothole that led to his father's fall.

"The city is riddled with potholes, the infrastructure is crumbling everywhere," he said.

"If it takes a tragedy for someone to come here and somebody [to] patch it or to fix it, I hope the city responds."

The City of Winnipeg declined to comment on Wednesday.

Tony Page, who lives near the accident site, said he had filed a complaint over a year ago about a drain next to the pothole in question.

"It's been over, what, 10 years now, the roads have been like this, and it's just a steady decline. That's what upsets me," Page said.