Winnipeg's seasonal yard waste collection program kicks off on Monday.
Yard waste will be collected at the curb once every two weeks, on the same collection day as recycling and garbage. People can put their yard waste in:
- Reusable containers without a lid (e.g., plastic tubs, old blue boxes, old metal or plastic garbage containers), cardboard boxes, paper yard waste bags.
- Plastic bags are not accepted.
Residents should put their yard waste containers to the side of their recycling and garbage carts, and to leave an arm’s length between their yard waste containers and their recycling and garbage carts.
The curbside yard waste collection program, which runs until November, was first rolled out citywide in October 2012 to give Winnipeggers more ways to reduce, reuse and recycle, in order to reduce the amount of material sent to the landfill.
Last fall, more than 6,000 tonnes of yard waste was collected and composted at the Brady Resource Management Facility.
People can find their yard waste collection dates by:
- Checking the calendar delivered with the trash and recycling carts last year.
- Checking the My Waste app at winnipeg.ca/mywaste.
- Contacting 311 by phone or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visiting the City of Winnipeg's website.
- Checking the link to the left of this page.