A Winnipeg man is reminding others to check their extension cords and smoke detectors after his car went up in flames early this morning.
"My wife happened to get up just before 5 o'clock and noticed a glow outside the window. She looked out the window, of course, and saw that the car was on fire," Penner told CBC News.
A burned out shell is all that's left of his 2006 Honda Civic.
The cause of the fire has not yet been determined, but Penner said firefighters asked him about the extension cord he had used to plug in his block heater.
"A great reminder for everyone to double-check extension cords and smoke detectors and all those kinds of things," he said.
"It's a good reminder, wake-up call."