Why asylum seekers risk their lives sneaking into Canada
Air Date: Jan 10, 2017 6:27 PM CT
CBC's Teghan Beaudette looks at why refugee claimants are risking their lives in freezing temperatures or on marathon swims to sneak into Canada.
Severe weather warnings or watches in effect for:
A few showers
A mix of sun and cloud
Chance of showers
Latest Manitoba News Headlines
The Manitoba government may ship propane-storage containers to the cut-off community of Churchill to help address a situation Premier Brian Pallister calls "urgent," but wouldn't go so far as to describe as an emergency.
An architect with offices in the Exchange District is trying to do something about Winnipeg’s lack of public toilets, saying it's about providing dignity to people who don't have access to washroom facilities.
Top News Headlines
- Tom Mulcair raises red flags after Canadian sniper breaks record in Iraq
- Trump's 'tapes' blooper could go down as 'one of the greatest own goals in political history'
- 'It scared the heck out of me': CF-18 flyby spooks Montrealers
- Too little, too late? Sears tries to rebrand by getting hip, hiding name
- 'It's fixable': Colorado motorcyclists ride rail line to Churchill
- 5 Manitoba Hydro transmission towers collapse during assembly
- 'My life was taken away': Winnipeg woman says Greyhound lost all her possessions in move
- 1 dead after head-on crash southwest of Winnipeg
- Homicide victim's family shocked by Facebook live videos of man dying on sidewalk
- Jogger's nipple strikes at Manitoba Marathon
- Probable tornado near Manitoba First Nation
- Semi full of hamburger buns is toast after fire
- 6 Canadians arrested in U.S. extradition request for allegedly selling fake cancer drugs online
Claude Bisson went to small claims court to get advertised discount price
Manitoba Public Insurance files 2 claims against automaker
‘We have no idea where this money has gone,' says daughter of woman who prepaid more than $4K for funeral
CBC digs deeper on the stories of the day