Why asylum seekers risk their lives sneaking into Canada
Air Date: Jan 10, 2017 6:27 PM CT
CBC's Teghan Beaudette looks at why refugee claimants are risking their lives in freezing temperatures or on marathon swims to sneak into Canada.
Latest Manitoba News Headlines
The Winnipeg Humane Society announced a $201,000 one-year pilot project on Wednesday that aims to increase the number of cats being spayed and neutered in the city, as well as curb the feral cat population.
Grade 2 students from two different Winnipeg religious schools are aiming to build cross cultural bridges. Students from Al-Hijra Islamic School and Winnipeg Mennonite School are exchanging cultural visits to connect the two communities.
Top News Headlines
- Health-care havoc: Trump's 1st legislative test a 'big loser' that puts his agenda on shaky ground
- Nurse accused in seniors' deaths stated 'it wasn't accidental,' childhood friend says
- Douglas Garland attacker pleads guilty to assault after taking part in jailhouse beating
- How moving to Canada helped Amy Jo Johnson, the first Pink Power Ranger, reinvent her career
- 'The more I cried, the more they laughed': Rude customers part of the job for retail workers
- Blizzard-bound Churchill awaits supply train: OmniTrax says track cleared
- Advertising by some Manitoba chiropractors undermines public health, expert says
- Young mother's case of flesh-eating disease mistaken for a bad flu
- Almost half of Canadians want illegal border crossers deported, poll suggests
- 'Where are you?': Christine Wood's parents still searching after 7 months
- New Manitoba national park announced in 2017 budget home to white cliffs, turquoise lake
- Boys charged with 2nd-degree murder in death of Winnipeg man
- Multiple suspects taken into custody after robbery at Walmart involving weapon
CBC dig deeper on the stories of the day
CBC News found many chiropractor websites containing statements at odds with public health advice
Raymond Cormier will be directly indicted and will not have a preliminary hearing
RCMP seizes boxes of construction invoices related to Canada Post plant already under investigation