Thomas Steen says he's back at Winnipeg city hall and carrying out his duties as the councillor for Elmwood–East Kildonan, less than a week after he was arrested on allegations of assault.
The 53-year-old former Winnipeg Jet, who has represented the east Winnipeg ward at city hall since 2010, was arrested on May 6 on an assault charge.
Police have not released details about alleged assault, but a fellow councillor confirmed a media report that Steen is alleged to have assaulted a woman he knows at a Garden City restaurant.
At the time Steen's arrest was made public, his executive assistant told CBC News that he was taking an indefinite voluntary leave from his council duties.
But in a statement issued Monday, Steen insisted that he has not taken a leave of absence from his duties as councillor, and he has resumed most of those duties.
Steen remains suspended from the Winnipeg Police Board while the investigation is underway.
No formal charges have been laid against Steen as of Monday afternoon.
Full text of Thomas Steen's statement
I would like to make a brief statement since I don’t want to make my presence a distraction to my fellow councillors, the administration, applicants that appear before committees I serve on and the Citizens of my ward and Winnipeg.
As you know I cannot comment on allegations that were reported in the media last week since the Winnipeg Police Services needs the time and the freedom to consider this matter. I have retained legal counsel on this matter and he has advised me to not comment on this.
I would also like to be clear that I have not taken a leave of absence from my duties as Councillor and the various roles and functions that I perform as City Councillor and have returned to my duties, other than the Winnipeg Police Board.